Monday, May 21, 2007

For Monica

Well Reader,

Ever since I arrived in Posadas the Siesta has been a wee predicament. For four hours in the middle of every day everything in the town is closed. Shops, cafes, offices, the works. There is only one place which is open; el Shopping, which is similar to a small version of Princes Square in Glasgow. The most expensive shops are located here and there is a café and cinema.

I haven’t really mastered the afternoon siesta…I’ve tried but haven’t adjusted….the only times I can sleep are if there is a very late night the night before. Towns when everything is closed always seem to be a bit depressing and on the two afternoons a week I am not “working” there is always the question of what to do. Four hours is not long enough to go far out of town, and without a scooter (!) it is difficult to access the countryside or places of interest outwith Posadas. Although I could bother myself to go by bus if I had a specific destination in mind. A riverside walk (pictured) and a cup of coffee with a good book takes a fair chunk of the four hours but rainy afternoons are rather dull.

So in the first week of siesta boredom I wandered past a sign in el shopping for an offer which said “hand massage and manicure, 15 pesos” (£2.40).

My Mother always uses the state of one’s nails as a biological indicator of wellbeing….In the last few years I had become a nail biter so didn’t fair well by this indicator. I was determined that I would go home from this trip with unbitten nails (particularly to re-iterate to my mum that travel was good for me). So somewhat bored, I stumbled in to el Shopping and was introduced to my new friend, Monica.

Until last year Monica worked as a lumberjack, which is the surprising career of many women in this province of Misiones where much of the economy is based on timber. She worked her way up to team leader, supervising men and women before she decided to change tack and become a manicurist. On the first visit to her I was there two hours…she doesn’t get many customers in siesta time and she is meticulous about her work so she seemed happy to take her time. As it transpired it was probably good for me that it did take so long, for whilst she laboured over Las Unas we talked and laughed, shared Mate (the drink), shared opinions and I improved my Spanish and she her English. And we both had a very pleasant afternoon. The following week I returned, along with the next, and the next. During our times together we’ve discussed almost everything you can think of, particularly girly topics, and we have much in common. So, whilst some people may think it an odd kind of friendship since I had to pay £2.50 each week for our gossip sessions, it worked out very well and I have made a really good friend.

I have tried not to commit to staying in touch with lots of people I’ve met, simply because I am lazy and life gets busy, but I am certain Monica and I will be email pals for a long time to come, and besides I want to improve my Latin American Spanish and she wants to work on her English. And neither of us want to spend much money on it.

I promised to put a picture of her “handy work” on the blog so here we are. Monica, if I am allowed out on another adventure, it will be thanks to you! But most of all thanks so much for some very happy afternoons.

No comments: