Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Intercambia Culturales

Well Reader,

Much to report since last update, and much has been happening which isn´t for the blog. For my nearest and dearest in Auld Reekie, Cumbria and in Jersey in various traumas, not that it helps, I am thinking of you. Particularly sorry to hear about Uncle John...the best Great Uncle a girl could have. A hard working man who was full of mischief (of the nicest sort), wit and goodness.
Meanwhile here, much to my dismay I´m on the home straight of my trip and it´s been busy........


Other than the Cathedral and the trees in the square and the river (pictured) Posadas is not a beautiful city. If you were a backpacker or tourist there isn´t much reason for you to linger here. There is some money and some magnificent houses, but the population at large just manage to keep their heads above water. There is not a lot going on for the visitor and I would not have spent time here, other than when changing buses if it wasn´t for the community project I saw advertised. And yet, four weeks since my arrival here, I find the prospect of leaving Posadas a real wrench, for in this little city I have found such warmth and cheer and such rewards in the work I´ve been doing that I have no desire to move on. If effort and non-monetary reward was measured by the gram, then for almost every gram of hard graft I have put in (and by my little standards it is has been hard work!) I have reaped in kilos in reward. The old adage "Give and you´ll receive" rings true for me, here.


Blogging meanwhile has tailed off....a quick flick through and I realise I´ve barely touched on half the themes, topics and events I meant to write about (My reader is probably glad about that!). In fact I have omitted Brasil and Paraguay altogether thus far.


Next week when I am finished I will miss my little friends at nursery. I won´t miss their little companions (e.g their nits, worms etc). Of course I don´t have favourites, but if I did it would be Lario (pictured) who has such a lovely temperament and helps me sort out all the squabbles....he knows all the pacifying Spanish words. And he is toilet trained! The previous nursery nurse has been replaced by another, who I get on really well with although there´s not much time for chatting. I am glad I stuck out this element of the project, entirely for selfish reasons....I am under no illusion that the children will remember me past next week, or that I made any lasting contribution to the nursery, but I shall remember them with a smile, and the things I´ve learnt here.

Marcelo, my favourite taxi driver (and I think I must have met most of them now) first mentioned the term they have for volunteers here; "Intercambia Culturales"....a person on a cultural exchange. They are not familiar with the concept of volunteer work in Argentina, but I like the idea of being an Intercambia Culturales better than that of volunteer because it really is me that´s learning. I have always found that there can be an air of arrogance in some volunteer-types, no matter what the project or the location, and I absolutely loathe it. Note I am primarily referring to organisations/projects which take on semi-skilled workers like me, rather than organisations like Medicins Sans Frontiers or VSO which require you to excel in your field in your own country first. So, anyway I am happy to say I am an Intercambia Culturales, even if I can´t spell it. I am here to learn, to enjoy and to experience a different culture by immersing myself in it. Who´s to say my European attitudes provide a better, happier quality of life than the Latino methods? The Argentines in spite of such economic adversity really seem to have it sorted. There´s joy and laughter and a real sense of life in all it´s fullness everywhere, and that´s what I hope to remember most from my experiences here. If they remember anything of me though, I do hope it is to wash their hands after using the toilet.

Having said that, I must re-iterate how thankful I am to be British. I would not want to relinquish my British passport for the world (or more particularly an Argentine passport). It´s fabulous to be from a country which enjoys stable Governance and a great economy....whatever one might think about specific issues, conflicts or politicians. So every day for the last three months I have been celebrating the power of the pound and the opportunities that have been afforded simply by being a middle class Brit. Particularly in the wine shop. I am very fortunate indeed.


Anyway, on to the girls´ home. The girls´ home which I have been working at in the afternoons is a little harder work than the nursery, I find, but it is easy to make a longer term impression and bring about direct improvements to the girls´ lives. The home is absolutely filthy and the girls have materially very little to keep them occupied. (pictured in the yard playing with the cards I brought over). In spite of this and the terrible lives the girls have experienced to date, particularly abuse, they have such joy to share with us.



As soon as us volunteers walk in we are set upon; within seconds they are clamouring all over us, fingers in our hair, kisses all over our faces etc. Strictly speaking it is two kisses here on greeting a person, but the girls dish out at least quadruple that before we are allowed to move. It took me a while to get over the stench emanating from the place, but for their sake it´s essential not to turn your nose up. There´s less than a week of this left but I am getting through the antibacterial hand gel at a rate of knots.


The woman who runs the home works incredibly hard. I am absolutely shattered after three hours and all the volunteers have to do is provide entertainment for the afternoon. The woman in charge runs the place for 23 extremely troubled girls and does all the work herself including teaching them. I simply have no idea how.


There are four of us volunteers "working" there and we plan the activities beforehand but the important thing I think is just to show them a good time and spend some time doing fun things which they otherwise don´t get to do. We´ve been to the park, played games, walked, had English lessons...nothing wildly exciting, but they can´t get enough of it. Bobby, a student from Portsmouth is particularly popular...he wears trendy low slung jeans that fall down if he´s running which the has the girls in hysterics.




I hope one day the girls will be equipped with the resources to deal with the world outside, to face their pasts and to lead fulfilling lives, but in the interim I hope our afternoon sessions have helped them a long a little bit.



So, Chao for now. More soon.

No comments: